It occurred to me the other day that this might be the most story-filled first third to a season ever. Consider how much excitement has already been packed into the year:
- A no-hitter by Ubaldo Jimenez, who happens to be 12-1 with an ERA so small you can barely see it.
- Arguably he worst call in the history of sports, and certainly the most memorably botched call in regular season baseball history by Jim Joyce costs Armando Galarraga a perfect game on the 27th out.
- Perfect games by baseball’s best and angriest pitchers respectively in Roy Halladay and Dallas Braden
- The hilarious drama between the aforementioned Braden and Alex Rodriguez
- The accusation that all-time great Ken Griffey Jr slept through a pinch-hit opportunity followed weeks later by his quiet retirement
- Griffey teammate Milton Bradley exits the Mariner clubhouse mid-game.
- Strasburgmania enters
- Jose Lima exits
- And all the other stuff I missed
See how much has happened? So tell me. Are these the most exciting two and a half months to ever open a baseball season, or is my giddiness unfounded?