Editor’s Note: This quiz will be open through the end of this weekend. So please submit your answers by Sunday night (July 26) for consideration in our completely meaningless “Best Of” follow-up post.
Sergio Leone & the Infield Fly Rule not only has the best name (and arguably best banner image) in the history of blogs, but makes great reading. Like fair trade coffee and the novels of William Faulkner, SLIFR takes a little while to get into. But if you have even the slightest interest in movies, it’s a must-read. The Quarterly Quizzes they do are especially awesome, so in the great tradition of blogs stealing ideas from other blogs, I give you a picture of Wilton Guerrero and the first ever Pitchers & Poets Not-Quite Midseason Quiz.
Please drop your answers in the comments. You don’t must, but we’d love to see you explain your choices. In fact, we’ll even post results with our favorite responses/rationales at a later date:
1. Excluding Rollie Fingers, who has the greatest facial hair in the history of the game?
2. Least enviable inferior big league brother. Example: Wilton Guerrero.
3. Dave Stieb or David Cone?
4. The game is on the line. You have to send a pitcher – any pitcher – to the plate. Who is it?
5. Favorite Casey Stengel managed ball club?
6. Bull Durham or Field of Dreams?
7. Best local broadcast crew, excluding your hometown/favorite team?
8. Least deserving Hall of Famer?
9. If you could resurrect one dislocated or disbanded franchise, which?
10. Most memorable instance of creative technique employed by manager in confrontation with umpire.
*Note: you don’t have to answer every question. You aren’t being graded.